Saturday, November 29, 2014

BHAPA DOI








 

Yesterday was my  wedding anniversary.  :) I thought of making a different but traditional dessert for the occasion . My husband wanted an Indian dessert .We all started to think for the right item . My elder son suggested gajar halwa, my younger one, as usual, wanted chocolate ice-cream.  I had little time to debate on. I had to finalise something soon , Why not "bhapa doi", I blurted out, spontaneously . ;) My husband looked at me confused. "wao !! what is that'? he said.....I explained,  it's a traditional recipe of curd from West Bengal.  My husband had lived in Kolkota, during the initial days of his career . He knew a little bit about Bengali cuisine ."Fine", he said. That settled the issue--  Bhapa Doi for today's dessert.

 Bengali cuisine is known for its subtle flavours and its has a huge spread of desserts and confectioneries too. Mustard oil is prominently used while making non vegetarian items and vegetables in this region. Daily meal is usually partial to fish with vegetables and lentils served with rice.

Now something about today's recipe. Bhapa means steam-- it could be applied to preparing  fish, meat or vegetables with spices. Bhapa Doi is basically a kind of Indian cheese cake. Now how to make bhapa doi ??? How can you steam curd ???? I am sure you must be wondering  as well.  Don't you worry ...I will tell you a very easy way to prepare this .It is a very simple and delicious recipe . The recipe is as follows -

The ingredients needed are -
Curd-1cup
Milk -1cup
Condensed milk -1cup
Dry fruits of your choice - Sliced thinly for garnishing

Method -
1)Beat the curd nicely with a beater so that no lumps are formed. Add milk and condensed milk to the beaten curd. Mix well .
2)Take ramekin molds, pour the curd mixture into them . Garnish with sliced dry fruits of your choice. Cover  the molds with aluminium foil.
3)In a steamer, heat water , put the ramekin molds in the steamer . Steam them for 20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean .
4)Cool them completely and store them in the refrigerator.
5)Serve chilled.
6)Enjoy!
*******


No comments:

Post a Comment