Thursday, December 25, 2014

SHRIMP FRIED RICE

Today being Christmas, festive mood is in the air and during the festive season people all over the globe can think of only two things......family and food!



When my father was posted in the port town of Paradip -- a major sea port of the country, I had the privilege of studying in.a convent school.  During the Christmas season, we were asked to help our Sisters in decorating the school with Bells, ChristmasTree etc . We also used to take part in carol singing . We were invited to attend the mass on the Christmas eve . It was real fun . Some of my friends were Christians and this acted as a cherry on the icing for me. We friends used to have a great time together in spite of the fact that we belonged to different religions . Unity in diversity. :D
The Sisters used to make so many delicacies like plum cake , idli  ( fermented with coconut water,  fried rice , chicken vindaloo, chocolate cake , fish fry--- to name a few. The Sisters  mostly belonged to Mangalore, a place in Karnataka. Their food had therefore the flavour of Mangalore cuisine . By now it is over two decades that I completed my school. Still during Christmas, I remember my days at Paradip. Fond memories they were ......
I  made shrimp fried rice today for lunch , which I would like to dedicate to my School Sisters. Wish you  Sisters a Merry Christmas !!
Now coming to my recipe for the day ....its a very simple yet tasty wholesome meal .It is shrimp fried rice....
Ingredients -
Shrimps -1 cup ( cleaned and marinated with salt pepper and haldi powder
Steamed rice -2 cups
Onion -finely chopped
Mint leaves - A few
Ginger -1 teaspoon  (Chopped )
Green chillies - 2 ( Grated )
Garlic -2 pods  (Chopped )
Salt - To taste
Haldi powder(turmeric ) -1 teaspoon
Oil - 3 tablespoon

Method -
Heat oil in a wok. Add onion and garlic and saute till the raw smell vanishes .Add ginger , green chillies and shrimps .Add salt to taste and haldi powder. Mix well and cover the wok with the lid .Let the shrimp fry in its own juice .After two minutes,  you need to check whether the shrimps are done or not. When the shrimp is done,  add the steamed rice .Mix well, add mint leaves. Mix well. Serve hot with raita.

                                            **************





No comments:

Post a Comment